6 Reasons Why Speed Dating Doesn’t Work
Speed dating has been used for so long time now as a desperate last resort to meet a life partner. For those of you who don’t know yet, speed dating has been invented by a Jewish rabbi to help single people meet and marry.
Here are some reasons Speed Dating doesn’t work.
- A usual Speed Dating Event gives you 8 minutes to chat between you and your partner, or 4 minutes per person. That’s not a lot of time to build a connection at least that’s not enough time to figure out whether you like that person well enough to see them again at the end of the night when it comes down to selection time.
- Speed Dating is unprompted. Some of us are more shy than others and we need a little prompt to help get the conversation started. In most speed dating events, they simply sit two strangers down in front of each other and say ‘Here. Go, talk about whatever you want too’ Often times this results in stale conversation or no conversation at all. It can be tough when you’re not given a prompt to fill a conversation for 8 minutes.
- Conversation Domination Can Happen. In Speed Dating since most times speed dating is fairly unregulated, unmonitored, and unstructured, people are not instructed to switch roles throughout the 8 minute conversation. Because of this, sometimes you can have a very quiet person paired with an extroverted person which means the extroverted person may dominate the conversation and not give the less dominate conversationalist a chance to demonstrate their personality or ask questions back. Once the 8 minutes are up, it’s time to move on whether both of you got an equal chance to talk or not.
- Uneven Ratios. Let’s face it there are usually more men looking to Speed Date than women, and for this reason you’ll have 80% guys and 20% women. On the surface this may look like this kind of scenario that typically happens at Speed Dating events is a favorable situation for women; however, a lot of guys tend to leave when they don’t see as much of a selection of available dates. Sometimes the people that leave first are the interesting people that you would want to meet so uneven ratios do have an impact on the event.
- Price. Usually Speed Dating Events can cost 35-40 per event. That’s fine if you find a date, but many times you go you will find sneaky business owners upcharge you at the event or they will charge you for wanting to connect with other members later on. If you’ve already paid for a ticket, there’s nothing worse than thinking you’ve made a great connection then finding out when you get home you have to pay ‘again’ to review your matches, then your match will have to pay also to review their matches. A lot of times you will lose potential romantic connections just because of how many hoops you have to jump through to review your matches.
- Quality of Speed Daters - Some events are catered towards people in their 20s and 30s. Other events are for people of all ages who share a common interest. You may not want to spend time socializing with people who are 20-30 years older than you. You also may not want to spend time socializing with people who are 10 years younger than you.
If you’re looking to connect with new people but you’re tired of these kinds of dissappointements you should give speed friending events a try. We offer a fun, low-pressure environment where you can build connections with people on a friendship level first. Our events are structured and organized; you get multiple icebreakers throughout, and we are a lot cheaper than speed dating. Why pay 35 dollars or more to attend when you can get all the beneifts of speed dating plus the added benefits of making friends too? Our average member receives 4 friends and 2 dates on average each time they attend based on surveys. Compare that where the average speed dating member receives 1 date per event on average. Visit www.SpeedFriendingEvents.com today and join a group to find an event near you today!